It’s Teacher Tuesday and we are highlighting one of our fifth grade teachers, Miss Susie Bird. Miss Bird has been teaching for thirteen years. She started teaching sixth grade and then moved to fifth grade. She loves teaching fifth grade and being at Brookside. We are happy to have Miss Bird at Brookside.
What do you love to do on the weekend: read
If you could have lunch with a fictional character, who would it be? Zoey Kate and Dallin from The World’s Greatest Chocolate Covered Pork Chops
Who was your favorite teacher and why? I don’t think that I have any favorites. I have happy memories of so many of them.
If you were given $1000 - what would you buy? Probably books
Who or what inspires you? My students. I love that they always push through and keep trying even when things are hard.
Share a memory or two of school:
- In fourth grade, we were sitting in class and my teacher, Mrs. Forsyth, was trying to teach a lesson. The door was open and she got upset because she thought the custodian was vacuuming something up. It went on for a little while and she couldn’t figure out why. So, she looked out the door and it turned out it was a fire drill. Yeah, we were the last ones out.
- I remember wanting to work on a piece of art so I didn’t put it away fast enough. My fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Coates, got mad at me. I don’t think I ever got in trouble again. I also remember the principal at Brookside during my fifth grade year had to wear roller skates for a whole day and he was my math teacher.
What is your favorite thing to teach every year? I love teaching about the American Revolution! I love getting to be the queen of my classroom and the students become colonists. I start to tax the students with all sorts of unfair taxes (I mean they have to pay for a chair, for wearing jeans or eating lunch). It's fun to see when they have finally had enough and want to rebel and start a new revolution!
What is the best thing about your job? The lightbulb moments! Seeing the students finally get the concept that they have been struggling with for so long.
- Pizza: Homemade
- book/author: Branden Mull
- Sport: Baseball
- Color: Red
- Snack: sweet - chocolate; salty - popcorn
- Zoo Animal: All the bears
#brooksidetigers #tigerpride #brooksidestudents #DiscoverPowerWithin #nebohero #NeboSchoolDistrict #studentsuccess #empowerstudents #engagestudents #focusonstudents #loveUTpublicschools #utpol #uted #ThankATeacher #LoveTeaching #iteachtoo